Going to Wales Scarf Pattern



Thank you so much for the comments on my post about my travel crochet project, the scarf I made while 'Going to Wales'.

It turns out a few of you also thought that it might be just the thing you'd like to take on your travels too, so thought I'd quickly make a few notes on the pattern for mine so you could do just that.

While it's nothing fussy or fancy, no charts or tutorials or the like, I hope you'll find it useful all the same.  I'm going to pop it just a little further down the post and it consists of the written directions for the stitch pattern I used, notes on the very simple border that I added and a little guidance on how mine worked out.

Oh, and I've included versions with both UK and US terms this time around.  I hope you'll find that helpful too.

Well, let's not dilly dally any longer my friends, the pattern awaits below.
Just scroll down a little more and it shall be yours to enjoy!



: :  GOING TO WALES SCARF : :

by Sandra Paul

Yarn:  Head over Heels by Stylecraft
(100g 4ply/sock yarn)

Hook: 3.5mm/ USA E

Actually you could use any yarn you like for the pattern, you'll just need to adjust the stitch count and number of rows accordingly.  And use a hook size appropriate for your yarn of course.

My Scarf

I did 66 chains to start and worked 49 repeats, so 51 of the right side rows in total.

I played yarn chicken and kept repeating rows, guessing the amount to leave for the border.  (I just ripped back a row or two when I didn’t have enough first time around!)  My whole scarf weighed a total of 107g so I got a nice generous skein, if yours isn’t quite so plump you may need to adjust the number of rows you work.

✽ ✽    UK Terms   ✽ ✽ 

Starting chain:  a multiple of 8 plus 2

Row 1:  1dc in 2nd ch from hook, *skip 3ch, (3tr, 5ch, 3tr) all in next ch, skip 3ch, 1dc in next ch,* repeat from * to * to end of ch.  [Right side]

Row 2:  4ch, skip 2tr, 1tr in tr, *3ch, dc in ch sp, 3ch, 2trtog: [1st leg in 1st tr, skip (2tr, 1dc, 2tr), 2nd leg in 3rd tr],* repeat from * to * to last ch sp, 3ch, 2trtog: [1st leg in 1st tr, skip 2 tr, 2nd leg in end dc].

Row 3:  1ch, dc in 1st st [trtog], *skip 3 ch, (3tr, 5ch, 3tr) in dc, skip 3 ch, 1dc in trtog,* repeat from * to * end of row.

Repeat rows 2 and 3 as many times as required, ending on a Row 2.

With yarn still attached, flip the work to the right side and then crochet the border around the edge:

Round 1:  1ch, (1dc, 2ch, 1dc) in same place, *4ch, skip ch, (1dc, 2ch, 1dc) in dc,* repeat from * to * around the scarf, working into the dc’s on the top and side edges and working into the ch at the base of the tr sts along the bottom edge.

: :

✽ ✽  US Terms   ✽ ✽ 

Starting chain:  a multiple of 8 plus 2

Row 1:  1sc in 2nd ch from hook, *skip 3ch, (3dc, 5ch, 3dc) all in next ch, skip 3ch, 1sc in next ch,* repeat from * to * to end of ch.  [Right side]

Row 2:  4ch, skip 2dc, 1dc in dc, *3ch, sc in ch sp, 3ch, 2dctog: [1st leg in 1st dc, skip (2dc, 1sc, 2dc), 2nd leg in 3rd dc],* repeat from * to * to last ch sp, 3ch, 2dctog: [1st leg in 1st dc, skip 2 dc, 2nd leg in end sc].

Row 3:  1ch, sc in 1st st [dctog], *skip 3 ch, (3dc, 5ch, 3dc) in sc, skip 3 ch, 1sc in dctog,* repeat from * to * end of row.

Repeat rows 2 and 3 as many times as required, ending on a Row 2.

With yarn still attached, flip the work to the right side and then crochet the border around the edge:


Round 1:  1ch, (1sc, 2ch, 1sc) in same place, *4ch, skip ch, (1sc, 2ch, 1sc) in sc,* repeat from * to * around the scarf, working into the sc’s on the top and side edges and working into the ch at the base of the dc sts along the bottom edge.

: :

I do hope you'll share your makes with me if you decide to use the pattern...
  
Tag your projects with #cherryheart or #goingtowalesscarf


S x




SUBSCRIBE:

   



Comments

  1. Hello! In USA directions, what is meant by "leg", e.g., 1st leg in 1st dc?
    We don't have the yarn you recommended; is this yarn equal to any lightweight yarn (3) or to a lighter weight (2 or 1)? And I have been wondering why UK directions have tr crochet and US has instructions for dc? Thank you! Your scarf is just gorgeous! Carol Dilgard, Dayton, Ohio, USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, when I say 'leg' I'm talking about where to place the decrease, so you start the decrease in one stitch, then skip some stitches and put the second part of the decrease in another stitch before you draw those two parts (or 'legs') together!

      As for yarns, this is a sock weight yarn I used, so it's a 4ply or fingering weight yarn.

      Delete